I’m back again with another beauty blog! In this blog I am going to discuss my absolute favorite and timeless beauty trend: The Red Lip! The first lipstick I ever purchased with my own money was a red lipstick. I know pretty bold for someone who up until about 2012 NEVER wore anything but lip gloss from Bath and Body Works or EOS lip balm or the tried and true Vaseline (hangs head in shame)
But then one day, I collected six empty containers from MAC ( MAC has a recycling program. If you return 6 empty containers , you can choose a free lipstick!) and I said let me step way out of my comfort zone and try a red lipstick. Growing up with Jamaican Christian parents, big bold lipsticks like the red one I chose was totally out of the question as a teen. But in 2012 as a twenty something year old woman, their opinion no longer mattered LOL.
So, I asked the lady at the counter which red lipstick she would recommend for me and she led me in the direction of the gorgeous and timeless shade of Ruby Woo!!! I fell in love! That started my lipstick junkie journey! I now own over 20 MAC lipsticks 😛 . But, it really started my love affair with red lipstick. I actually don’t own that many, just 3. ( I’m not including MAC Diva because its more of a burgundy/ brown to me even though its classified as a red)
The three red shades I have all come from different companies. I have of course the shade “Ruby Woo” by MAC Cosmetics. I also have “Fiery” from the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick Collection and “Outlaw” from the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick” line. Each one of these products has its pros and cons. Let’s go through them together
Let’s begin with Ruby Woo: Ruby Woo is a very pigmented matte red shade with blue undertones. The pros of Ruby Woo are as follows:
- very long-lasting
- super pigmented
- fantastic coverage
- compliments all complexions
- makes your teeth look super white! 😛
However it does have a few cons:
- Extremely drying formula ( must exfoliate lips well before using this product)
- Has a tendency to feather and fade after a few hours of wear. ( nothing that can’t be rectified with a lip liner or lip primer)
Next up “Outlaw” by Kat Von D. Outlaw is a described as a brick-red shade. A true “pin-up” red.
The pros and cons for this product are as follows:
- super long-lasting ( I mean it takes divine intervention to remove these!)
- extremely pigmented
- compliments all if not most complexions
- very drying formula ( easily rectified with a lip scrub/vaseline primer prior to application. If you don’t moisturize your lips beforehand, it will show every crack and crevice on your lips.
- You need a very steady hand to apply because if you make a mistake, you will have to start all over. It will stain your face too lol
- really need a lip liner to help keep this from feathering
- Will rub off if eating something especially greasy.
Lastly, “Fiery” from the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick line. The pros and cons are as follows:
- Long lasting
- very pigmented
- feels very light on the lips
- Doesnt need a lip liner
- fades easily if eating food that is greasy
- will stain if not applied with a steady hand.
Okay now that I’ve laid out my pros and cons for these products let me rank them from least favorite to most favorite. Drum roll please ( insert drum-roll lol)
3. My least favorite is “Outlaw” . I’ve tried to manipulate it by using lip liners and a lip primer but I just don’t like the formula of this particular Kat Von D Shade. ( all the others I own I absolutely love) I would probably never repurchase this lip product. I give it a 2 out of 5 stars.
2. The one that lands right in the middle is “Fiery”. I love the way it feels so light on my lips. I love that is super pigmented. I guess i’m just kind of indifferent towards this shade. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if this shade was discontinued,but I would reach for it randomly if it was around 🙂 4 out of 5 stars.
1. That of course leaves my beloved Ruby Woo! I love everything about this lipstick. I love that I can wear this as a stand alone or I can pair it with a brown or plum lip liner and change the appearance. Ruby Woo is a lipstick my makeup kit can never be without. As long as the shade is in production , I will own it. Ruby Woo is fierce! Fantastic! 5 out of 5 stars.
You may stray away but you always come back to your first love! Ruby Woo, you my boo!! 😛
What’s your favorite red lipstick?