I back again with another long overdue edition of Food Files! Last night I was just in the mood for some good old fashioned pancakes! Living in Canada with no IHOP nearby and with Denny’s too far away, my only resolution was to make them myself! So I went on the internet in search of a simple recipe to make some pancakes from scratch… ( yeah I had no ready made pancake mix either lol)
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and It made the most delicious pancakes that could serve about 1-3 people. ( I had quite a bit of batter left over and I served myself and 1 other person) The recipe is as follows :
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
The best way to make sure your batter is nice and creamy and makes the lightest, fluffiest pancakes ever, is to mix the wet ingredients separate from the dry ingredients and then whisk them together at the end.
Warm up your pan with the cooking oil/spray or butter of your choice and make sure it is on medium heat. You don’t want your pan too hot as it tends to burn the pancakes before they can cook all the way through and they definitely don’t taste as nice or look as aesthecially pleasing. You definitely want to make sure not to flip your pancake until you see the batter begin to bubble. That’s how I know that the first side is cooked throughly.
I like to pair my pancakes with good ol’ maple syrup and some fresh fruit. Last night I had some super sweet strawberries that I threw on top!
There you have it! The world’s easiest pancake recipe! Try it out and let me know how it works out for you!
Till Next Time…
Sorry about missing yesterday’s post but it was just one of those days where a girl needed to hop in a hot bath, grab a beverage and soak my poor aching bones! However, I had a craving for something sweet, and since I’m on this healthy eating journey there is no”junk food” in my house.
So to satisfy my craving, I decided to make a cornbread. Not exactly the healthiest way to curb my craving but hey…. 🙂 ! Now, people prepare and serve cornbread in various ways. Today, I will share with you a recipe I have been making for years passed down to me from my mother! So delicious!
What you will need:
- sugar( white)
- baking powder
- a big bowl
- a mixer ( a simple hand mixer will do)
- a spatula
- a sifter/stainer
Here is the recipe:
3/4 cups of cornmeal
1 cup of flour
1/3 cup of sugar
3 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of milk
3 Tbsp of butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Using Pam or melted butter, grease a baking pan. For this recipe, I used one 8- inch pan.
- While your oven is preheating, go ahead and melt 3 Tbsp( tablespoon) of butter in the microwave and set it aside.
- You are going to want to sift your dry ingredients into your bowl first. Sifting it will help the cornbread be as smooth as possible.
- After, add your wet ingredients!
- Using your mixer, mix everything together until you have a very smooth consistency. If you don’t have a mixer, a big spoon or a whisk will do, it will just take some extra arm power!
- Pour your batter into your greased pan and place it into the oven
- Bake for 30-40 mins or until golden brown and cooked all the way through. The easiest way to check is to use a knife and poke it straight down the middle and if it comes out clean your bread is ready!
That’s it folks! Really simple to make and even better to eat! Try it and let me know how it turns out! I’m about to enjoy a slice with a cup of Earl Grey Tea!
Have a great Tuesday!!