So…. there is something that I learned about myself this weekend… I….am…. a…..HOARDER! I don’t get rid of anything,at any point.. EVER. This past weekend I decided that I was going to “spring clean” my closets and get ready for the approaching spring . Although today was -10 degrees Celsius ( or 14 degrees Fahrenheit) I had a pretty free weekend and wanted to tackle it.
I set off with every intention of just reorganizing and re-arranging my closets ( I have 2 lol) and making them neater, however my cousin ( Shout out to PL) had other intentions! She was determined to make me make hard decisions and clear out the clutter. To make a long story short, my closets are now lighter and by lighter I mean 26 pairs of pants ( yes 26) and FIVE GARBAGE BAGS FULL lighter 😦 .
You would think this task would be easy,but it was actually very difficult for me. I mean let me be totally honest, I had some clothes in there from high school ( RIP purple sweater lol) and clothes so old that they have been in and out of fashion twice( lol) Why did I find it so hard to let them go?
I’ve realized that I haven’t done a proper spring clean in years and that my closet was a pretty clear representation of my life over the past few years full; of beautiful things yet cluttered and busy and unclear. In the past five years I’ve gone through so many life changes. As you get older, and schedules become busier,it becomes easier to push things aside and use the quintessential quote, ” I’ll get to that later” ( procrastination is the devil lol) But what if tomorrow never comes? Why put off until tomorrow what you can accomplish today!
Spring cleaning to me is not only the physical “clean your closet” cleaning, but it also refers to your inner self! Let’s go through some tips that have helped me inner and outer spring clean. Let’s start with the easier of the two: the outer.
How to Spring Clean outwardly:
- Set aside uninterrupted time
- Have a clear goal of what you want to accomplish ( what is it that you want to get rid of/organize?)
- What are you going to do with the stuff once have purged it? Are you going to donate it? Have a garage sale? Give it them to friends and family?
- Make sure that once you have decided what you are going to keep, start anew by putting things in order, neatly and with purpose!
- Put a plan in motion to ensure that things ever get back to the cluttered state that they were before ( get proper storage, label things etc…)
How to Spring Clean inwardly:
Everything done outwardly is a direct reflection of what is happening inwardly so take some time to reflect.
- Clear out negativity: take time to purge your mind and life of all things that hinder positive energy. That includes people. No I don’t mean that stupid ( yes stupid) quote people put on Facebook ( mind you I have been guilty of this in my early Facebook days..) ” If you’re reading this you’ve made the cut” Ugh… instead of putting this meaningless quote on social media, why not take the time to really take stock of who you are surrounding yourself with and make sure they are people who will uplift you and keep your life light!
- Reflect,Refocus and Revisit : Reflect on where your life is. Refocus on your goals and Revisit your plan to achieve your goals
- Declutter your life. Make time for the things and people you love. That may mean cutting back on some of your commitments, changing up your routines and not allowing yourself to get burnt out. Take time out for you! (Yes JM this point is for you! 🙂 )
There is one more area of life that I like to “spring clean”, and that is my spiritual life. Sometimes as Christians we allow our life to become cluttered with things that distract us from a relationship with Christ. Here are steps I take to help me out in this area
- Set aside CLEAR time to build your relationship. Set an alarm to serve as a physical reminder of what you need to accomplish ( ie: bible study, prayer,service/ministry)
- Put aside things that hinder you from doing so ( I.e. watch less TV… less idle activity…)
- Find your inner peace. Let go of anything ( or anyone) what causes your mind to wander from and/or inhibit your spiritual goals
- Defeat that evil guise called PROCRASTINATION!!!!!! Like Nike says “Just do It!”
Spring cleaning sometimes causes you to reflect deeply on who you are as a person and as I was cleaning this weekend only one song kept resounding in my spirit. It’s called ” I Know who I Am” By Sinach! The lyrics read:( paraphrased) http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sinach/iknowwhoiam.html
“I Know Who I Am”We are a chosen generation
Called forth to show His excellence
All I require for life, God has given me
And I know who I am
I know who God says I am
What He says I am
Where He says I’m at
I know who I am
I’m walking in power,
I’m walking miracles
I live a life of favor,
‘Cause I know who I amTake a look at me, I’m a wonder
It doesn’t matter what you see now
Can you see His glory?
‘Cause I know who I am
These are the steps I have been taking throughout my spring cleaning season! What are you Spring Cleaning this year?